Saturday 22 February 2014

Odds of siblings getting T1D (Type 1 Diabetes)

When my eldest son was diagnosed with Diabetes Type 1, question of chances for my youngest son to develop Diabetes did not entertain my mind too often.

However today it is not leaving me alone. 

I was told that previous 2 diabetic children at my eldest son's school were brother and sister. I also went on jdrf.org.uk website where I read about a family where all 3 children are diabetic.

This has made me to do some research on odds of developing Diabetes in siblings and they are some how worrying. According to Joslin Diabetes Centre and Joslin Clinic website chances of developing Diabetes, if one of the siblings has Diabetes, are 1 in 10 by the age of 50. Please follow the link to read Joslin website for more information on odds.

This has made me wonder about Beta Cell Encapsulation in healthy siblings to prevent autoimmune system attacking their own (currently healthy) Beta cells. As far as I know, there are no such a preventative measure at the moment available in the UK or elsewhere. We definitely would be interested if that would be an option.

If you would ask me 'why' would I like to encapsulate my sons' beta cells, the reasons being are:

1) Genes ascertain / contribute to development of Diabetes Type 1. We have had 3 family members who have / had Type 2 therefore this suggests that our family genes are more susseptible to develop Diabetes.

2) Environmental triggers. Since we are going to live in the same environment (climate, the same locality and attend the same nurseries / schools etc), we are providing the same environmental factors to our youngest son as ones that led our eldest son to develop T1D.

If you are interested to find out whether sibling has higher risk to develop T1D, you can apply to participate in the research to test islet cell antibodies. This will indicate whether autoimmune system has alredy started to attack pancreas.

You can find details of the study, including links to participant information, on Bristol University website at http://www.bristol.ac.uk/clinical-sciences/research/diabetes/research/trialnet/

1 comment:

  1. HOW I GOT CURED OF HERPES VIRUS.

    Hello everyone out there, i am here to give my testimony about a herbalist called dr imoloa. i was infected with herpes simplex virus 2 in 2013, i went to many hospitals for cure but there was no solution, so i was thinking on how i can get a solution out so that my body can be okay. one day i was in the pool side browsing and thinking of where i can get a solution. i go through many website were i saw so many testimonies about dr imoloa on how he cured them. i did not believe but i decided to give him a try, i contacted him and he prepared the herpes for me which i received through DHL courier service. i took it for two weeks after then he instructed me to go for check up, after the test i was confirmed herpes negative. am so free and happy. so, if you have problem or you are infected with any disease kindly contact him on email drimolaherbalmademedicine@gmail.com. or / whatssapp --+2347081986098.
    This testimony serve as an expression of my gratitude. he also have
    herbal cure for, FEVER, DIARRHOEA, MOUTH ULCER, MOUTH CANCER FATIGUE, MUSCLE ACHES, LUPUS, SKIN CANCER, PENILE CANCER, BREAST CANCER, PANCREATIC CANCER, CHRONIC KIDNEY DISEASE, VAGINAL CANCER, CERVICAL CANCER, DISEASE, JOINT PAIN, POLIO DISEASE, PARKINSON'S DISEASE, ALZHEIMER'S DISEASE, INFLAMMATORY JOINT DISEASE, CYSTIC FIBROSIS, SCHIZOPHRENIA, CORNEAL ULCER, EPILEPSY, FETAL ALCOHOL SPECTRUM, LICHEN PLANUS, COLD SORE, SHINGLES, CANCER, HEPATITIS A, B. DIABETES 1/2, HIV/AIDS, CHRONIC PANCERATIC, CHLAMYDIA, ZIKA VIRUS, EMPHYSEMA, LOW SPERM COUNT, ENZYMA, DRY COUGH, ARTHRITIS, LEUKAEMIA, LYME DISEASE, ASTHMA, IMPOTENCE, BARENESS/INFERTILITY, WEAK ERECTION, PENIS ENLARGEMENT. AND SO ON.

    ReplyDelete