Friday 27 June 2014

Preventing complications when T1 Diabetic

My son caught a splinter on a Thursday evening, and that has been very worrying experience since he was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes 4 months ago.

When he was diagnosed with Diabetes, I learnt that we need to try to prevent injuries to avoid any immediate or future complications. Especially, we need to look after his feet.

Here we go, 4 month into it, and Toby manages to get splinter in his large toe. Straight away, I take him to Minor Injuries in Cannock Chase Hospital. It takes us 3 hours to be seen by the nurse. Toby is asleep by this time and nurse attempts to get the splinter out. This attempt is unsuccessful and we wake him up by picking his toe with a needle. We have a second unsuccesful attempt after the nurse had numbed his toe with some special 'magic' gel.

We return back to a hospital the next day. This time it is Stafford Hopital A&E. There are quite a few checks and arrangements to be done. Toby gets lots of stickers: for staying still for his x-rays, for having his toe ultra sound done and for showing his toe to the doctors and nurses.

Not being aware of requirements, Toby has a drink at 11am that turns out to jeopardise his chances of getting his splinter out on the day.

We went back to the hospital on Saturday and his splinter was finally removed.

Thanks to Shoughborough ward who looked after Toby extremely well, especially to Mandy for being there for us and making Toby's favourite toasties

No comments:

Post a Comment